The Master Gunsmithing Program at PGS is an all encompassing program of study that has been developed by practicing Gunsmiths and employers over a 62-year period. The program is constantly updated and revised in both content and machinery and will assist you to obtain an entry-level job in the Gunsmithing career. No prior firearms or machining experience is necessary. Those that do have prior experience can take their expertise to a higher level with the training. For example, many experienced tool and die makers and machinists have taken the program and built many new skill sets that were not previously known to them.
PGS does not offer individual subjects or courses because each skill and task builds upon previously learned material.
A few of the many things you will learn are:
- Proper layout, hack sawing, filing and gauging techniques
- Gunsmith heat treatment, metallurgy, and spring making
- Firearm nomenclature, function and design and cycle of operation
- A variety of polishing and bluing techniques, firearm disassemble and reassembly, trigger work
- Stock design and fit, drop, pitch and cast off
- Custom stockmaking, recoil pad installation, stock finishing and checkering, sling swivel installation
- Stock bedding techniques
- Gunsmith welding, soldering and brazing
- Lathe, milling machine, drill press and grinding operations
- Telescopic and fixed sight mounting
- Barrel fitting, chambering and head spacing
- Simple ballistics and hand loading
- Repairing and customizing
- Custom alterations for rifles, shotguns and handguns
- Basic business practices, Gunsmith operations and employment preparation
STATE OF THE GUNSMITHING ART EQUIPMENT
PGS facilities undergo constant upgrades and improvements to assure students have the highest quality equipment to perform the highest quality work. Equipment used on a regular basis include:
- Individual student work benches equipped with a utility vise and electricity
- Gear head lathes and attachments
- Vertical knee milling machines with digital read outs and attachments
- Drill presses
- Bench grinders
- Polishing buffers
- Abrasive grinders
- Multiple bluing tanks
- Glass bead and abrasive blasters
- Heat treating furnaces
- Disc sanders
- Band saws
- Stock drying rooms
- Hand reloading work benches with presses, dies and associated equipment
- Precision chambering reamers, gages and test equipment
- Hundreds of tools, jigs and fixtures
There are two "formal" student class rooms. Each are uniquely equipped with various audio visuals equipment that includes a large screen TV monitor and equipment to view Gunsmithing videos. These rooms are also utilized for short instructional presentations, guest speakers and graduation ceremonies
The library resource center includes hundreds of volumes of texts and has the latest in Gunsmithing books and videos along high speed computer internet access for research and employment search.
PGS STUDENT TOOL, BOOK AND SUPPLY STORE
All of the required tools, books and supplies necessary to complete the educational objectives of each course are available for purchase in the store. Hundreds of optional tools and related equipment are available as well. Due to discounted pricing, the store is only open to PGS Students and is not open to the general public.
PGS FACTS - CONSUMER INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
Click here for interesting FACTS ABOUT PGS and how to make an informed choice about attending Pennsylvania Gunsmith School.
Click here for the NET PRICE CALCULATOR designed by the U. S. Department of Education. For current and up to date costs, please refer to the above FACTS ABOUT PGS or you may call PGS at
Click here for our CODE OF CONDUCT for Education Loans.
Click here for GAINFULL EMPLOYMENT DISCLOSURES.
Do you have Questions about our Gunsmith Training Program? Here are some of the answers that will help you choose PGS as the school for your future career in Gunsmithing.
Would you like more information about the Master Gunsmithing Program?
Please contact us and we will send you our PGS information packet.
Member of Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges